Disclaimer
Views and opinions expressed in this blog page are solely the personal expression of the writer and is never intended to disgrace any individual, religions, culture, organization and so on.Any unintentional defamation caused would be highly regretted. And since English is not his mother tongue, he is bound to make grammatical and structural mistakes. Hence errors as such are regretted and comments and suggestions are duly welcomed for further improvement as the author strongly believes that there is no end to learning in life.

Thursday 1 December 2011

My embracement of Boarding School life

From pre-primary till primary education I studied as day-scholar student. The school from where I did my primary schooling is within ten minutes walk from my home.  After passing out from Thrimshing Community Primary 
Thrimshing Com.Pry School ( Estd 1993)
School as its first batch of students we were placed to then Wamrong Lower Secondary School in 1999 which was upgraded to MSS, the following year in 2000 (Wamrong MSS is currently upgraded to Tashitse HSS). It was in March 1999 that I embraced the boarding students life for the first time. Initially, boarding life was not that easy.I started missing my parents and my brothers back at home and I even missed the meals my mom prepared. That was when I learnt how much my parents and brothers meant to me as I was so much so attached to my dear parents and my two lovely brothers who are more or less my best friends. But then  I was not alone who started missing parents and faced difficulty, others from my village were also experiencing the same.Even parents back at home were concerned about their children and they used to visit the school during weekends on a rotational basis in order not to let their children feel homesick.
Tashitse HSS ( Wamrong)
courtesy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhutancanada/5707146181/
To add to the already difficult situation to adjust, there was acute shortage of water. We used to go on Saturdays to a place called Kharphu which is more than an hours' journey for washing. Occasionally we used  to lick our plates thoroughly after meals simply because as I mentioned there was dearth of water. I remember once we were served breakfast cum lunch prepared from the harvested rain water and salt, vegetables, rice and other ingredients were all added together and then cooked. I owe Wamrong a lot as from there I learnt how precious water is. I also remember bunking home on one weekend from school only to get punishment to fetch a square meter pile of firewood along with other friends. The punishment was however not for bunking from hostel since warden didn't notice but I was absent during evening study hour on Sunday.

Nevertheless, the boarding life was so much so fun as we got to interact with friends from different hometowns.  From Wamrong, there was no turning back. I was into boarding schools through PU till I did my graduation. One memory that is still afresh in my mind is how nineteen of us (classmates 9&10) used to live together in a single room though it was packed. We used to share whatever edibles we had. If it was too minute to be divided among us, the one who possessed used to ask who all wants to have without disclosing it and it used to be equally divided and then shared among those who wanted to have be it food items or whatever may be. At one time in absence of Mr. Lhatu, our class mate, we (18 of us) had half of his pounded maize (tengma) and on his box we kept whatever things we had along with a tag that this and this item is from so and so. After a week he noticed and inquired who had stolen his tengma, where all of us said all of us know the culprit but we will not disclose him.  I guess he doesn't know even today that all 18 of us were involved. 


Though it was difficult to adjust life in the beginning I was accustomed to the boarding student's lifestyle. Today I miss it so much so that given one wish in life I would love to be back to my boarding school life. But its just a weird thought of mine.  

No comments: